This is Part 3 of a 3-Part Series called Rewatching Stanley, whereI re-watch and reflect on Kubrick's early films, sharing observations and reactions that I have while watching. My companion guide will be The Stanley Kubrick Archives, edited by Alison Castle.
Film
The Corruption of War
"Kubrick had made some rather grim movies up to this point. When I asked him if films like Paths of Glory implied that he was a misanthrope with contempt for the human race, Kubrick shot back, 'Oh god, no. One doesn't give up being concerned for mankind because one acknowledges their fundamental absurdities and weaknesses. I still have hope that the human race can continue to progress. As a matter of fact, the epilogue of the movie ends on a note of hope for humanity.'" (p. 150).
(I'm planning on writing an article here...)
 |
| Kirk Douglas in Paths of Glory, 1957 |
 |
| Kirk Douglas in Paths of Glory, 1957 |
 |
| Paths of Glory, 1957 |
 |
| Timothy Carey in Paths of Glory, 1957 |
 |
| Kirk Douglas in Paths of Glory, 1957 |
 |
| Paths of Glory, 1957 |
 |
| Paths of Glory, 1957 |